We arrange a number of events to help you improve our employability skills, give you access to recruiters and provide information about specific jobs.
Students who wish to attend any of these events will receive a notification informing them when booking is available.
Click this link to view details and book online to attend talks and presentations.
Click here to download an overview of forthcoming talks and skills sessions.
If you have any further queries, please contact the Careers & Employability Helpdesk: Open Monday – Friday 9.00 am – 1.00 pm and 2.00 pm – 6.00 pm with the exception of Tuesdays when the Helpdesk opens at 10.00 am.
Applications & Interviews, Business & finance, CV, Careers, Diversity, Engineering & technology, Jobs, Postgraduate Study, Psychology, Science, Skills, Teaching, Work Experience, arts & humanities, international, law, life sciences, public sector, volunteering
Swansea University has recently established a partnership with 10 Minutes With (www.10MinutesWith.com), an educational website designed to help students understand the true nature of different jobs.
Featuring short video-interviews with influential business leaders, 10 Minutes With helps students understand what working in a particular function would look like and the skills they require before launching specific career paths (whether in Finance, Marketing, Law, etc).
Recent interviews include:
- Sandra Davis – Head of Family Law – Mishcon de Reya
- Kevin Langley – Head of Client Support and Implementation – VISA
- Chris Edginton – Senior Electrical Engineer – ARUP
- Olga Lyudovyk – Head of Business Development (Asia) – Marks & Spencer
How to Gain Access to 10 Minutes With:
1. The simplest way to get started is to sign up for a username and password on the website at www.10MinutesWith.com; 2. Select the link New User in the top right corner of the front page; 3. From here you will be asked to enter your Swansea University email address; 4. Once this is done by clicking on the button, you will be asked to create your own account; 5. Once this is filled, you will be automatically sent an email with username and password; you will now have immediate access to the website.
We’re delighted that PwC are sponsoring our Fair this year. PwC is theUK’s largest professional services organisation who recruit into business areas such as Actuarial, Assurance, Consulting, Deals, Tax and Technology. For information about careers with PwC and advice on developing your employability please visit www.pwc.com/uk/careers. Take the opportunity of a lifetime.
For the full Careers Fair programme, please visit www.swansea.ac.uk/careers/careersfairevents/.
Applications & Interviews, Business & finance, CV, Careers, Diversity, Engineering & technology, Jobs, Postgraduate Study, Science, Skills, Work Experience, arts & humanities, international, law, life sciences, public sector, volunteering
During the next three weeks (Wednesday 5th June-Wednesday 26th June) each student or graduate who signs up to receive the latest job opportunities and GO Wales news direct to their inbox will be entered into a prize draw to win a fantastic Kindle Fire.
With new graduate jobs being added to the website daily can you afford to miss out on what could be the start to your dream career?
Join the GO Wales community and sign up at https://www.gowales.co.uk/en/Graduate/Home/SignUp.
Terms and Conditions
- The promotion is open to undergraduates and graduates who have an address in Wales.
- GO Wales can support students who have completed their first year of study and are citizens of an EU or EEA country (or Switzerland).
- To enter into the giveaway participants must sign up to GO Wales via the website.
- The competition will run from Wednesday 5th June – Wednesday 26th June 2013.
- The prize is a Kindle Fire; to claim the prize the winner will be asked to forward their full address so that it can be sent via special delivery.
- If GO Wales is unable to contact the prize winner within 30 days, the prize will be forfeited. A new prize winner will then be randomly selected from remaining entries.
- Only one registration per person.
- The prize winner may be required to take part in related publicity and such participation is a condition of accepting a prize.
- Losing entries will not receive any notification.
- GO Wales’ decision is final and no correspondence or other communication will be entered into regarding the draw other than as specifically contemplated in these rules.
Bright Futures recently hosted a conference attended by 120 students from over 40 universities, schools and colleges; careers advisers from 28 universities and 30 employers.
Click here to download the conference report on discussions about shaping the employability agenda to help students and new graduates meet economic and social challenges.
Penna, a global Human Resources services group, carried out a survey of 96 employers between July and October 2012 which you can download here. It focuses on how recruiters use Social Media both personally and professionally, looking to gauge their success with regard to monitoring and managing their reputation, as well as covering more controversial issues such as using Social Media for recruitment and selection. It also addresses the question of how applicants’ online presence may affect their employment prospects.
“The majority of companies have no policy in place for how Social Media should be used as part of the recruitment process; all the same, social content is still widely used to evaluate candidates. The message here is probably primarily for candidates – manage your accounts carefully and be clear in the segregation of your profiles between personal and professional. For recruiters there is clearly a need to think carefully about whether social information can be used to inform recruitment – as people share more, Social Media could well provide valuable insights as long as the information gained can be used objectively.”
As recently as 2010, Human Resources management generally felt uncomfortable about using Social Media for recruitment, but two years on the majority of graduate recruiters actively use it and support its use. They recognise the importance of monitoring their own online presence across blogs, chatrooms, online news stories, Twitter, Facebook etc, and managing their branding in order to be the employer of choice and attract the best applicants.
Dowload the latest Airbus newsletter for information on international opportunities and events for students and graduates.
Current open positions include:
- Graduate roles
- Volunteer positions for international experience
- “Working Student” opportunities
- Final Year Thesis 2013
- Airbus Scholarship Programme in Germany
This will be an informal event to give students the opportunity to come and meet some of the staff from PwC Swansea together with their recruitment team over a pizza and a drink.
It’s open to students from any year group and it will complement the activities that PwC will be doing during Employability week. Students need to sign up online at http://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/student/ourevents/find-out-more-events.jhtml.
PwC still have vacancies for most of their business areas including full time roles, summer internships, undergraduate work placements and their shadow a female leader scheme. However, some offices are filling up fast so students should be encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Click here to sign up for a PwC Insight Day. Events include Technology Specific Insight Days.
Graduate traineeships are currently being advertised through the One Carmarthenshire postal at www.onecarmarthenshire.co.uk/jobs.
We understand that applicants for the posts would be expected to start in the New Year, so would be of interest to recent graduates. However, there is a contact name for each opportunity, so current students could double check the start date for any schemes they might be interested in.
Over 1000 new jobs to be created for young graduates – Jobs Growth Wales Graduates rollout improves prospects across Wales.
GO Wales will be delivering the Jobs Growth Wales Graduate Programme on behalf of the Welsh Government which will aim to create over 1000 new job opportunities for graduates across Wales during the next two years.
The Jobs Growth Wales Graduate programme will enhance the current portfolio of work experience and training services that GO Wales offers to help graduates make the best start to their careers in Wales.
Click here to read the full press release.
Find jobs in EU Affairs convenientrly listed in one place at www.eurobrussels.com.
You can search by:
- Policy area
- Job type
Think German for jobs!
This event will take place on 8 November 2012 from 12.00 – 6.00 pm at The German Embassy, 22 Belgrave Square, London SW1X 8PZ.
Click here to view full details.
The German Embassy Career Fair provides a unique opportunity for students and graduates
- to meet representatives of German companies as well as British companies with important
business links to German speaking countries,
- to discuss employment opportunities at these companies,
- to hear about the importance of German language skills in a career context.
Just a quick reminder about our Careers Fair on Thursday:-
Time: 10.00 am – 3.00 pm, 4th October 2012
Venue: Marquee in front of Fulton House
- This is your chance to meet recruiters from a wide range of employment sectors.
- Our Careers Advisers will also be running a CV clinic if you would like some advice on this.
- If you complete one of our student surveys at the Fair, you will have the option to be entered in a prize draw to win a Uni bus term ticket worth £156. This has been kindly donated by First Cymru Buses Ltd.
Click here for more information.
Applications & Interviews, CV, Careers, Jobs, Postgraduate Study, Psychology, Science, Skills, Teaching, Work Experience, law, life sciences
This autumn & winter, the IOP has an excellent line up of companies wanting to invite you to their careers evenings, including: Seagate Technology, IBM, Atkins, Bank of England, TTP, Lockheed Martin and Corporate Risk Associates. The host companies are interested in recruiting physics graduates on completion of their studies. Attending these events is an excellent way of finding out what graduate careers are available in these organisations, and how you could boost your chances of securing an interview.
- Seagate Technology, 26 September, 2pm – 4pm, Belfast
- IBM, 17 October, 6.30pm – 8.30pm, London
- Atkins, 24 October, 6.30pm – 8.30pm , London
- Bank of England, 7 November, 6.30pm – 8.30pm, London
- TTP, 14 November, 6.30pm – 8.30pm, London
- Lockheed Martin, 5 December 6.30pm – 8.30pm, London
- Corporate Risk Associates, 23 January 2013, 6.30pm – 8.30pm, London
All events will be held on a Wednesday afternoon or evening.
If you wish to attend these events, please click here to book: http://www.iop.org/events/careers/index.html
If you have any questions, please contact:
The Institute of Physics
76 Portland Place
London W1B 1NT
Direct Tel: +44 (0)20 7470 4906
Fax: +44 (0)20 7470 4900
It has recently been brought to my attention that a number of fraudulent offers of employment seem to have been made in UK hospitals’ names.
The Guardian article below is a few years old, but has some useful tips for spotting a job scam.
Get inside information to help your applications and interview technique stand out from the crowd!
You can find this information in profiles of key graduate employers on the following websites:
These sites are well worth exploring for vital information on lots of other Careers and Employability topics too.
Final year students – get ready for work!
Tuesday 12th – Friday 15th June 2012
Swansea Employability Academy and the Careers & Employability Service are hosting a series of workshops for final year students. These workshops are designed to improve your knowledge and skills in the job application and interview process and to help to prepare yourself ready for the employment sector.
Click here to view the full programme.
The UK/Malaysia GradLink website is aimed at connecting Malaysian students studying across the UK with opportunities in Malaysia.
The website is completely open access and includes job and internship vacancy boards for Malaysian based opportunities, case studies of Malaysian graduates and Malaysian employer profiles.