A dedicated section in The Guardian newspaper to help you boost your employability:
Archive for the ‘ Work Experience ’ Category
Event: Let’s Shout about IT! – Fujitsu Graduate & Placement Programmes
Target Audience: Technical final years and second year students
Date: Thursday 28th November Time: 17:00 – 18:00
An Introduction to the different Graduate and Placement role opportunities at Fujitsu and some tips to help you through the application process. Find out what we look for in our Junior talent and what life is like for Graduates and placement students at Fujitsu.
From enabling airline bookings and driving licences through to banking transactions, high street shopping and much more besides, Fujitsu touches the lives of millions of people every day.
Fujitsu is a leading European information technology services company. Its business is helping its customers realise the value of information technology through the application of consulting, systems integration and managed service contracts. Unlike a lot of our competitors, we take a no-nonsense, straightforward approach to IT, delivering solutions that help our customers deliver results.
For further information including venue and to book your place:
Please go to: http://swansea.prospects.ac.uk/
- Events Calendar
- Select the Date of the Event
- Select: Book
The Meet the Managers event was organised by the Swansea Employability Academy together with the Careers and Employability Service. It gave our students valuable interview and networking experience, helping them to prepapre for the world of work and for our SPIN and WOW work experience programmes.
The video was filmed for us by SU-TV.co.uk.
We arrange a number of events to help you improve our employability skills, give you access to recruiters and provide information about specific jobs.
Students who wish to attend any of these events will receive a notification informing them when booking is available.
Click here to download an overview of forthcoming talks and skills sessions.
If you have any further queries, please contact the Careers & Employability Helpdesk: Open Monday – Friday 9.00 am – 1.00 pm and 2.00 pm – 6.00 pm with the exception of Tuesdays when the Helpdesk opens at 10.00 am.
Event: Deloitte Careers Evening – Cardiff
Date: Tuesday 29th October 2013
Location: To be confirmed on registration
Time: 6.30 – 8.30 pm
- Corporate Finance
Kick start your vacation scheme or training contract search with a full day of advice and insight from partners and recruiters at top firms.
Aplications are now open for the CityLawLIVE careers conference on 6 December 2013.
Visit www.citylawlive.com/Dec2013 for information.
CityLawLIVE is aimed at second-year law and penultimate year non-law students with excellent academic records who are interested in working for a top City firm and who will be making applications for work placements and training contracts in 2014. This conference is a fantastic chance to gain a vital edge in the battle to win the most prestigious training contracts.
Swansea University has recently established a partnership with 10 Minutes With (www.10MinutesWith.com), an educational website designed to help students understand the true nature of different jobs.
Featuring short video-interviews with influential business leaders, 10 Minutes With helps students understand what working in a particular function would look like and the skills they require before launching specific career paths (whether in Finance, Marketing, Law, etc).
Recent interviews include:
- Sandra Davis – Head of Family Law – Mishcon de Reya
- Kevin Langley – Head of Client Support and Implementation – VISA
- Chris Edginton – Senior Electrical Engineer – ARUP
- Olga Lyudovyk – Head of Business Development (Asia) – Marks & Spencer
How to Gain Access to 10 Minutes With:
1. The simplest way to get started is to sign up for a username and password on the website at www.10MinutesWith.com; 2. Select the link New User in the top right corner of the front page; 3. From here you will be asked to enter your Swansea University email address; 4. Once this is done by clicking on the button, you will be asked to create your own account; 5. Once this is filled, you will be automatically sent an email with username and password; you will now have immediate access to the website.
WHAT IS THE CHALLENGE? Up to two weeks in Vancouver, canada with work experience with Alacrity: http://alacrityfoundation.com/canada/.
Air fares, board and food all included!
Supported by Swansea University International Development Office
HOW CAN YOU APPLY FOR THIS CHALLENGE?
Send 100 words maximum to firstname.lastname@example.org on: “How and why I would benefit from the Canadian Challenge”.
Do not forget to include your name, your course and year of study, contact email and phone number!
WHEN IS THE CLOSING DATE?
Friday NOVEMBER 8th 5pm – GET YOUR APPLICATION IN NOW!
Sir Terry Matthews is a graduate of Swansea University (Electronic and Electrical Engineering, 1969). He is a prolific Welsh-born high-tech entrepreneur and Wales’s first billionaire. He has founded or funded over 80 companies in the high tech communications field, most notably Mitel and Newbridge Networks.
Sir Terry Matthews is the Chairman of Mitel and Wesley Clover and owns the Celtic Manor Hotel, host to the 2010 Ryder Cup. See him in Swansea University on 19th November 2013- tickets from the Students’ Union!
Download some new leaflets from one of our Careers Advisers, Jennie Drewson:
If you are thinking about what careers might suit you after you finish your degree, the Society of Biology’s conferences are an ideal way to find out more. Even if you’re not in your final year it’s never too early to start thinking about careers prospects after your degree.
The Life Sciences Careers Conferences are a great way to meet employers and find out more about the variety of career paths available to bioscience graduates. The conferences include presentations covering a wide range of science-related subjects and a one hour CV workshop with tips on writing CV’s and cover letters and getting an interview. During our exhibition you’ll have the opportunity to talk to experts from professional bodies, employers, recruiters and universities about further study. Lunch and afternoon refreshments are included.
The events are FREE to members of the Society of Biology and only £10 for non-members, visit the website for more information and to register.
Click here to view our forthcoming programme of talks. These include:
- Employers’ presentations about specific careers and professions, placements, skills development, year out and volunteering opportunities
- Workshops to help you develop your employability and career management skills.
More talks are being added to our programme all the time, so keep any eye on the events section of our website at www.swansea.ac.uk/careers/careersfairevents where you can find further information and book online to attend the ones you’re interested in.
We’re delighted that PwC are sponsoring our Fair this year. PwC is theUK’s largest professional services organisation who recruit into business areas such as Actuarial, Assurance, Consulting, Deals, Tax and Technology. For information about careers with PwC and advice on developing your employability please visit www.pwc.com/uk/careers. Take the opportunity of a lifetime.
For the full Careers Fair programme, please visit www.swansea.ac.uk/careers/careersfairevents/.
Venue: Café West & Fulton Refectory Fulton House
Time: 10.00 am to 3.00 pm
This is YOUR opportunity to network with potential employers and to find out what skills and experience they are looking for.
The Disability Support office within Student Services at Swansea University is now accepting applications for their note taking/support worker scheme. Generally they look to recruit students taking postgraduate degrees or research, but would also welcome applications form third and final year udergraduate students. An exception to this is Nursing where, because of the high number of lecture hours, they would be happy to receive applicants who are in their first year and who will be taking the same undergraduate degree.
The posts will be for the academic year 2013/14, but at this stage the required hours cannot be confirmed as new students will not collect their timetables until enrolment. The rates of pay change annually but handwritten notes are usually paid at the rate of approximately £9 per hour and typed notes at £14.00 per hour. Interested note takers/support workers will be invited for informal interviews over the next two weeks.
Please download the relevant application form here and email your completed form to email@example.com.
Find us on Twitter @SwanWorkPlaceme
Keeping you up-to-date on the latest placement developments and opportunities within Swansea University.
Also visit www.swansea.ac.uk/work-placements/ where we post information on how our placements and internships work.
The Swansea Employability Academy and Careers and Employability Service are currently working on new WOW and SPIN programmes for the coming academic year:-
- Week of Work (WOW): Unpaid placements providing the chance to undertake a week of work experience relevant to your career interests
- Swansea Paid Internship Network (SPIN): Paid 6-8 week placements over the summer vacation period.
The GO Wales Graduate Academy is a FREE training programme that aims to provide recent graduates with the skills and support needed to help gain graduate employment. Today’s employers are looking for real evidence of skills, abilities and understanding of the world of work, underpinned by actual experience and accredited learning.
The last full-time Graduate Academy of 2013 starts on 5 August 2013. The closing date for online applications is Wednesday 19 June 2013.
During the next three weeks (Wednesday 5th June-Wednesday 26th June) each student or graduate who signs up to receive the latest job opportunities and GO Wales news direct to their inbox will be entered into a prize draw to win a fantastic Kindle Fire.
With new graduate jobs being added to the website daily can you afford to miss out on what could be the start to your dream career?
Join the GO Wales community and sign up at https://www.gowales.co.uk/en/Graduate/Home/SignUp.
Terms and Conditions
- The promotion is open to undergraduates and graduates who have an address in Wales.
- GO Wales can support students who have completed their first year of study and are citizens of an EU or EEA country (or Switzerland).
- To enter into the giveaway participants must sign up to GO Wales via the website.
- The competition will run from Wednesday 5th June – Wednesday 26th June 2013.
- The prize is a Kindle Fire; to claim the prize the winner will be asked to forward their full address so that it can be sent via special delivery.
- If GO Wales is unable to contact the prize winner within 30 days, the prize will be forfeited. A new prize winner will then be randomly selected from remaining entries.
- Only one registration per person.
- The prize winner may be required to take part in related publicity and such participation is a condition of accepting a prize.
- Losing entries will not receive any notification.
- GO Wales’ decision is final and no correspondence or other communication will be entered into regarding the draw other than as specifically contemplated in these rules.
Are you a high achieving student looking to get into a career within HR, Website Content or Communications?
Nuffield Health are currently seeking an Intern for the Summer to join their leading healthcare organisations in Surrey.
Click here to find out more and apply online. The closing date for applications is 14 June 2013, and you must follow the online application process for your application to be recieved.
Nuffield Health is the UK’s largest not-for-profit healthcare organisation, providing clinical, fitness and wellbeing services to the general public, NHS and private businesses nationwide at over 200 locations.
Benefits will include access to an on-site gym.
- Allowance: £6.19 per hour
- Hours: 37.5 hours per week; 3 month fixed term contract
- Location: New Malden, Surrey
- Support HR Shared Services Manager with project management of collation and upload of HR content onto NH new Extranet
- Ensure consistency of content load onto HR Extranet
- Ensure HR content meets HR Transformation design principles of simple, standardise, simplify and engage
- Support HR centres of excellence content business owners with content uploads, and ensure they are fully trained in on-going BAU processes
- Develop streamlined content for key HR Shared Services processes
- IT literate – preferably with experience/knowledge of SharePoint
- Copy-writing ability
- Some previous office experience preferred
- Interest in web design, communications or HR
- At least 2 A’s at A Level & predicated at least 2i
- 2013 graduate or entering final year of university study in 2013
Generation UK is a project run by the British Council to encourage and support more young people from the UK to gain international experience in China through internship programmes and academic scholarships.
Volunteers’ Week is a national celectration of volunteers and volunteering which takes place from 1 – 7 June of each year.