Click here to download a list of useful resources/links to help you build your networking skills, manage your online presence and use social media effectively to find jobs.
Archive for the ‘ Graduates ’ Category
The Careers and Employability Service will be hosting a variety of events and workshops during the week beginning Monday 20th January covering a wide range of topics.
Download the full programme:
Workshops during My Employability week will include the following:-
- Careers and Cakes – informal drop-in event
- Getting started with career ideas
- Managing your online presence and using social media for job hunting
- Writing an effective CV and cover letter
- Finding and preparing for graduate jobs
- Career decision making
- Developing an employability mindset
- Analysing what you can offer an employer
- Making successful applications
- Interview skills and psychometric testing
- preparing for assessment centres
- The Higher Education Achievement Award (HEAR) and Employability Awards
- Completing successfulapplications (GO Wales)
- Using social media for job hunting
- Getting into teaching
- International Students – What next after your degree?
GradLink UK is a very useful site for learning about the graduate job market and graduate employers in China, Africa, India and Malaysia.
The website includes vacancies, graduate profiles, employer contacts, in-depth advice and much more.
We have lots of Careers and Employability resources for our International Students at www.swansea.ac.uk/careers/internationalstudents/.
Shropshire Council is offering small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) located in Shropshire the opportunity to bid for funding to create a graduate placement that will assist and support the business to grow and develop.
If you are a recent graduate interested in working under this scheme, please telephone 01743 252741 to register your interest.
Dunbia are currently recruiting for a wide range and large number of roles, and they do also have one or two vacancies at Llanybydder that they will be looking to fill. This would of interest if you are looking for opportunities in the Carmarthenshire area. Opportunities include:
- Accountancy & Finance
- Food Safety & Technical
An exciting opportunity in web development is available with Gradintel whose technology delivers an innovative online platform where employers can engage with their target candidates in the graduate talent pool.
Working alongside other members of the Gradintel development and technical support team, the primary purpose of the job is to produce high quality and secure web applications using designs and specifications provided by other members of the team and Gradintel’s customers.
Interested applicants should contact:
York Science Park
A dedicated section in The Guardian newspaper to help you boost your employability:
The Fast Stream is a Talent Management programme for graduates who have the potential to become the future leaders of the Civil Service. Click here for more information.
Applications for the 2014 schemes have been open since 2nd September 2013, and all remaining open schemes will be closing very soon – so hurry if you’re interested in these opportunities!
The Civil Service employs a wealth of talented people working in a variety of interesting, and often challenging, roles. For the Civil Service to meet its current and future challenges, employees will need to be skilled in areas such as finance, project management, policy and, of course, information technology, particularly in the light of the Government’s ‘digital by default’ agenda.
To improve recruitment strategies across this wide range of skills requirements the Civil Service is conducting a survey that you can access at the following link if you are willing to participate: https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=137542340732. It is very short and only takes a few minutes to complete.
The GO Wales Graduate Academy is a FREE training programme that aims to provide recent graduates with the skills and support needed to help gain graduate employment. Today’s employers are looking for real evidence of skills, abilities and understanding of the world of work, underpinned by actual experience and accredited learning.
The last full-time Graduate Academy of 2013 starts on 5 August 2013. The closing date for online applications is Wednesday 19 June 2013.
Digital Cardiff Week – 24-27 June 2013: FREE talks, training and events for the digital and creative industriesAuthor: Jo
Highlights of the week include:
- Digital Futures Day, which will look at what digital broadcasting will look like in a converged, internet-connected media environment;
- Digital Skills Day, a day of free taster training sessions from across the production chain;
- The Wales Games Development Show 2013, showcasing games and interactive development companies and projects from across the digital media industry in Wales;
- Digital Economy Day, which will see the best talent from the Welsh creative industries come together with their digital sector counterparts to explore new ideas and identify areas of digital convergence.
How do I find out more / book a ticket?
The event is led by a number of partners including the BBC, S4C, Cardiff Council, Creative Skillset Cymru, BAFTA Cymru, Media Academy Wales and the Welsh Government.
During the next three weeks (Wednesday 5th June-Wednesday 26th June) each student or graduate who signs up to receive the latest job opportunities and GO Wales news direct to their inbox will be entered into a prize draw to win a fantastic Kindle Fire.
With new graduate jobs being added to the website daily can you afford to miss out on what could be the start to your dream career?
Join the GO Wales community and sign up at https://www.gowales.co.uk/en/Graduate/Home/SignUp.
Terms and Conditions
- The promotion is open to undergraduates and graduates who have an address in Wales.
- GO Wales can support students who have completed their first year of study and are citizens of an EU or EEA country (or Switzerland).
- To enter into the giveaway participants must sign up to GO Wales via the website.
- The competition will run from Wednesday 5th June – Wednesday 26th June 2013.
- The prize is a Kindle Fire; to claim the prize the winner will be asked to forward their full address so that it can be sent via special delivery.
- If GO Wales is unable to contact the prize winner within 30 days, the prize will be forfeited. A new prize winner will then be randomly selected from remaining entries.
- Only one registration per person.
- The prize winner may be required to take part in related publicity and such participation is a condition of accepting a prize.
- Losing entries will not receive any notification.
- GO Wales’ decision is final and no correspondence or other communication will be entered into regarding the draw other than as specifically contemplated in these rules.
The University of Leeds has been working closely with Opera North and other cultural organisations to create a programme of funded Fellowships to support professional development in fundraising in the arts.
It is a fast-track career opportunity for recent graduates and those at an early stage of their career, who demonstrate the attributes to succeed in the role – actual fundraising experience isn’t required.
Fellowships are offered in major arts organisations in the north of England (developed and managed by DARE, the University’s long-standing collaboration with Opera North) and in London (managed by fundraising consultancy Cause4).
Applications must be submitted by 1 July 2013.
A second round of Fellowships will be offered in 2014. They will be advertised in April 2014, to start that autumn.
The scheme won Arts Council England Funding as part of the Transforming Arts Fundraising grant programme and has the full support of major decision-makers and influencers in the sector.
If you have any queries at all, please don’t hesitate to contact Lesley Patrick Lesley@dareyou.org.uk, tel: 07936 917291.
Last Friday saw the launch at Barclays in London’s Canary Wharf of final reports for the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services’ (AGCAS) and Association of Graduate Recruiters’ (AGR) project funded by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills together with the AGCAS website for students at http://www.graduate-success.org.uk/.
The Graduate Success website includes lots of short videos and case studies on a wide range of topics, such as
- Making the most of a placement
- Work experience
- Career choice and planning
- Using you Careers Service etc.
Paid placements, Work Tasters, Graduate Academy … GO Wales advertises hundreds of exciting opportunities in all sectors and business industries across Wales.
To search and apply for opportunities visit www.gowales.co.uk/en/Graduate.
Current open positions include:
- Graduate roles
- Volunteer positions for international experience
- “Working Student” opportunities
- Final Year Thesis 2013
GO Wales is 10 years old and is celebrating with a Memory Lane competition. All you have to do is submit a short story about your experience of participating in a GO Wales project over the last ten years. All entries will be included in a prize draw to win a Kindle Fire. One winner will be picked at random on 1st March!
Calling All Recent Graduates
Work Experience? Travel? Further Study?
Combine all 3 and spice up your CV
An exciting opportunity for UK graduates to take part in a unique work placement programme in India.
The UK India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI) is offering a work placement programme commencing 18 March 2013 which will be delivered by The University of Dundee and Sannam S4. A Global Internship Graduate Certificate India (GIGCI) will be offered on successful completion of the programme. The programme allows students to participate in paid internships with multi-national employers in India.
The UKIERI Work Placement Programme is aimed at recent graduates or postgraduates from any UK University.
Applicants for the programme will:
- Hold a UK passport
- Ideally hold a Masters degree or a minimum of a good Honours degree in any subject discipline
- Be in the first stage of their working life and within two years of graduation
- Be eligible to receive an Indian entry visa
The Global Internship Certificate India (GIGCI) builds on the success of the University of Dundee’s Scottish Internship Graduate Certificate (SIGC) which has been running since 2009.
Students will attend a 2 week induction at Dundee University before flying out to India. They will then undertake career planning modules and a 3 to 5 month internship with a multi national organisation.
If you have any questions regarding the programme, please send your enquiry to: firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr Lynsay Pickering (GIGCI co-ordinator) on 01382 384017.
Useful websites to look at
Wipro is a global information technology, consulting and outsourcing company serving over 900 clients in 57 countries.
They are offering a nine month training programme to empower graduates to develop a strong insight into information technology, combining classroom sessions and hands-on exposure on real-time projects.
Wipro are coming to Swansea University on 6 March 2013 to give a presentation and offer you the opportunity to undertake an initial selection process. Click here to download more information and to book your place at this event.
The programme is open to students coming towards the end of their degree programme in Computer Science, Mathematics or Electronic Engineering. It starts in July 2013 with a week of ‘onboarding’ in Reading followed by 9 months in India: 3 months training, 3 months shadowing and 3 months working on a live project.
Wipro will provide and organise your accommodation together with travel to and from work.
Do you want to be part of an award winning team working to develop brighter futures for children all over Wales and the South West?
Do you want to work in Dance, Drama, Music, Art or Sport and increase your chances of long-term fulfilling employment after university?
SuperStars are looking for subject specialists with passion and positivity to work in their partner primary schools.
SuperStars have lots of current employees on their Facebook page who can answer your questions about working for them.